Monday, 22 September 2014

Evaluation for Induction Piece

The research used to create my article, was from the class handout as it had appropriate information about music piracy from the BBC website, which enabled me to produce the article well. As well as that, I had also done some of my own research to develop my article. This was not an easy task as I had to ensure that the websites were from the UK and not another country such as the US as it wouldn’t support the statistics and facts about music piracy in the UK alone. However, I had managed to find information from websites which helped me write my article thoroughly.

In class, we had not gone through any journalistic and writing skills however; we did go through the target audience. The target audience for this specific article was for teenagers aged over 16, as they are most likely to be downloading music illegally instead of paying for it. I had written my article in a way that I would usually write an essay, but with a different kind of tone as I was aiming it at older teenagers. I gave various quotes from several artists about their thoughts and perspectives on music piracy, as well as giving examples of many other ways celebrities could make money out of their music careers rather than just selling the music.

In terms of using InDesign, it was fairly simple to use as it is similar to photo shop, which is something I am familiar with. The basic features of changing the text fonts, text size and colour was easy to do however, one thing I did find a bit difficult was inserting the text boxes as I had to ensure that they were an appropriate size as well as measure them to be the same size. Inserting the photos of the artists which I had quoted was also simple, but resizing and cropping the photos did cause a hassle, as zooming into the photos resulted in the resolution of the photo being low and not clear. As for the actual article itself, I had exported the text from a word document and pasted it onto InDesign. Doing this was quite time consuming as I had to ensure that the whole text fit into the boxes I had drawn out and that the font size and style was readable. I experimented with this article by using a dropcap to make it look professional since dropcaps are used in many real articles.

Publishing the final article onto my blog took a while, as my blog wasn’t working whenever I attempted to upload screen shots of the article and my drafts. However, in the end I managed to upload both the draft and final copy of my article, and also received feedback from a fellow classmate. This helped me, as she had given me constructive criticism, which would help me when producing another article in the future.

My targets for next time are, trying to be quick when doing the layout process of the article as that took up most of the time, blogging straight after I have completed a task in the lesson, ensuring that the layout of the article is suitable and researching from only UK websites and not US websites.

1 comment:

  1. this is a sensible evaluation Thaniha and you have carefully evaluated your strengths and weaknesses in this task. I am pleased to see you using some technical language when evaluating InDesign and you have considered the content learned on piracy. The evaluation follows the structure and you write well. Overall a succesful induction. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete